Sunday, October 21, 2007

The "Vintage" Couch

To everyone donating so that you will not have the "vintage" (ugly) couch delivered to your front porch, we thank you. For those of you who do not know what I am referring to, let me explain.

Two weeks ago, we had a yard sale with all proceeds helping to offset adoption expenses. My cousins, Marcy and Rodney (Anna Mei's mom and dad), said they had an UGLY couch that they would donate to the yard sale and if we labeled it "vintage" we might spark curiosity in some folks and be able to sell it. Well, needless to say, people were curious, but not enough to buy. So my Aunt Darla called, as a joke, and asked my mom if the couch had sold. My mom told her "no" and that she would be glad to deliver it to her that afternoon and leave it on her front porch. My aunt told her that she would make a donation of $20 if my mom wouldn't deliver the couch to her. That is all the two of them needed and the "fun" began. They have a list of people they plan to deliver the couch to and the first that does not donate to bring Cassi home will have a "vintage" couch on their front porch. They are, of course, being very cautious with the list of "deliverees" as not to offend anyone and only including those with a great sense of humor. If you fit into this group, look out for the "vintage" couch. In one day, my aunt was able to raise $100. My family has always been known to have a warped sense of humor and this just confirms that. I think it's a great idea, especially this time of year. Trick or Treat!!!

God is continuing to bless us with prayer support from so many. I have been able to testify of His working in our lives and I feel our story is a testimony of what God can and will do in other's lives. In talking to others who have considered adopting, as one of our fellow group members said, "There are a million reasons not to adopt, but there is only ONE reason to adopt." Just look at Cassi's face. That's reason enough for us!!!